Is sports betting no longer fun? Here's how you can find support.
It may be time to step away if sports betting is no longer a fun, affordable activity. The signs below may indicate that it’s time to take a break from playing.
- Sports betting for longer and longer periods of time
- Lying about the extent of sports betting
- Often missing work or school to wager
- Neglecting personal or family responsibilities to wager
- Using sports betting as an escape
- Wagering with money needed for paying bills
- Believing the “big win” will bring sports betting under control
If you or someone you know is having a hard time managing play, support is available.
The National Council on Problem Gambling and its affiliates provide services to assist people and families affected by problem gambling. Take the self-assessment or you can call or text the 24-hour confidential hotline: 1-800-522-4700.
Many states also provide ways to opt-out of gambling through voluntary self-exclusion. Find state-specific resources here.